History of Hector
The first settlement in present day Hector was referred to as the Boiling Springs Campground. This campground was one of the earliest settlements in Pope County and is located approximately 1 mile west of the current city limits. Boiling Springs was host to a number of evangelical camp meetings in the early 1830's by the Rev. Mahlon Bewley. The first known Methodist Church in Pope County was established as a direct result of the Boiling Springs Camp Meeting. Boiling Springs acquired it's name due to the underground spring that can be seen today.
By the mid 1800's Hector was known to be a flourishing outpost. The first known business in Hector was a tannery operated by Mr. Green Caudle. Many businesses operated in Hector, including mercantile stores, a cotton gin and mill, and a U.S. Government whiskey distillery (near the present day elementary school).
By 1885, Hemp J. Mayo, the owner of a local business successfully secured a U.S. Post Office for this flourishing village. Mr. Mayo, was determined to name the community after his home town of Avondale, Indiana. Apparently, Mr. Mayo's political views did not sit well with the locals and opposition ensued. Other names considered included, Snider (in honor of Dr. Peter Snider), Wheeler, Wootenville, Grindersville, and The Plain. Tired of the controversy and conflict, the Post Office Department asked President Grover Cleveland to name the post office. President Cleveland, a known lover of canines, chose the name Hector after his favorite bulldog.
On April 23, 1908, Hector was struck by a cyclone that caused significant damage to the community. Accounts indicate that 27 homes were destroyed or damaged, 6 businesses destroyed, and a number of casualties.
School was first held in Hector in the summer of 1889.
Hector was first incorporated by the State of Arkansas as a city in 1960.
The first known Doctor in Hector was Dr. Peter. S. Snider, who was born
on the Rhine River in France on May 14, 1824.
* All information was obtained through the Pope County Historical Assocation.
1910- Ladies Choir of the Hector Cumberland